Friday, June 5, 2009

Jealous

All I wanted this morning was to lay in bed and snuggle with my son, Carter(16months old). As I walked to his room I figured I would get him up, change his diaper, bring him back to bed with with me, and then we could lay there and wake up slowly together. As soon as I opened his door, he flipped over and as always said, "momma?" Thanks son. I changed him and then he ran out his room looking for momma. Carter laid there in bed for like 10 minutes snuggling with my wife and paying me no attention. I wanted to scream I was so jealous.

I thought about how God must feel when all He wants is us and we give ourselves to other things. The Bible says that God is a jealous God (Ex 34:14; Deut 4:23-24)and that we provoke Him to jealous anger (Deut 32:16, 21; 1 Kings 14:22; Ps 78:58). God is jealous to be number one in our lives. The Bible teaches that God wants our "first fruits". He wants to be priority number one and to get our best, not our leftovers. In the categories of intimacy with God and impact for God, are you giving Him your best, or are you provoking His jealous anger? Start by examining your calender and your checkbook. Is God getting the first fruits of your time and money?

No comments: